Click to Home
Go To Search

General

Posted on: May 17, 2017

Confederate monument meetings continue across Caddo Parish

Courthouse2.JPG

A Caddo Parish Commission citizen advisory committee established last year to craft recommendations for the future of the 115-year-old Confederate monument on the Caddo Parish Courthouse grounds has set a series of public hearings in May to seek public input.
 
The committee, poised to make non-binding suggestions for the future of the monument, consists of a diverse group of individuals from various organizations, backgrounds and interests. All are interested parties in the future of the historic statue that marks the spot where the Confederate flag was lowered for the last time on land.
 
Public Hearing Information:


May 18 : Donnie Bickham Middle School, 7240 Old Mooringsport Road.

May 23 : Broadmoor Middle Laboratory School, 441 Atlantic Ave.


All meetings will begin at 6 p.m. and last no more than 90 minutes. Cards will be provided at each meeting for the orderly participation of those who wish to speak, limited to three minutes apiece. Committee members will audit remarks by the interested public and evaluate suggestions to be included in the recommendation to the parish commission.

Members of the public not able to attend the hearings, but wishing to express themselves may do so by emailing comments to caddolrpcac@gmail.com or mailing to P.O. Box 52104 Shreveport, LA 71135


The committee's options for its non-binding recommendation to the Commission range from outright removal or demolition, to creating companion or parallel monuments or memorials, to leaving the monument as it now exists. The committee also can recommend final resolution of the issue of ownership of the monument.


The monument was suggested by the United Daughters of the Confederacy in the late 1890s and was funded in 1903 through contributions from the UDC, the public and the Caddo Parish Police Jury, the forerunner of today's Caddo Parish Commission. The 30-foot-tall, 60,000-pound granite and marble cenotaph (a monument erected in honor of a group of people whose remains are elsewhere) and built by noted Texas sculptor Frank Teich, was dedicated May 1, 1906, on the north lawn of the third Caddo Parish Courthouse, which was torn down and replaced by the current courthouse 20 years later.

Facebook Twitter Google Plus Email

Other News in General

hanna.jpg

In Memoriam - William "Bill" Hanna

Posted on: December 19, 2016
Courthouse2.JPG

2016 Home Rule Charter Propositions

Posted on: December 2, 2016

PrintEmailRSSFacebookTwitter