Click to Home
Go To Search
Juvenile Services
The Juvenile Court for Caddo Parish was the second juvenile court established in Louisiana. First implemented in New Orleans in 1908, the juvenile court system empowered a special judge to enforce safeguards for the welfare of children. Subsequently, the Louisiana state legislature passed an act in 1922 which provided for the creation of another juvenile court and a parish detention home for neglected and delinquent children that would be located in Caddo Parish.

In 1924, Earl H. Crane, a former Assistant District Attorney, became the first judge for the Juvenile Court for Caddo Parish. During Judge Crane’s six-year term from 1924 to 1930, the police jury acquired property on Murphy Street where present Annex to City Hall is located.
 
A brick cottage built on the property provided refuge for dependent and neglected children. A separate building behind the cottage had two additional rooms for the incarceration of children who needed maximum-security detention. However, the Murphy Street Detention Home soon proved unsuitable for maximum-security and the Court moved the juvenile detention to the Caddo Parish Jail.    

More History.



Juvenile Court










Caddo Parish Juvenile Court
1835 Spring St.
Shreveport, LA 71101
(Directions)

Ph: (318) 226-6772

Hours
8:00 am - 5:00 pm


PrintEmailRSSFacebookTwitter